connection reset by peer, using jstl fmt tag in jsp

From: g <graeme.winrow_at_littlewoods.co.uk>
Date: 21 Jan 2003 09:46:27 -0800

having spent all day trying to get the JSTL fmt:format tag to work, I've decided to leave this posting to see if anyone else is having the same trouble.

my setup:
I have version9.0.3 of oc4j on my desktop PC using port 8888, I'm using a data source pooled connection to an Oracle 8i database. the browser is IE6 service pack 1 (there is no problem in Netscape)

my problem:
I make a request to a servlet which populates my session with beans before forwarding to a jsp.
The jsp then loops around a bean property using :-
<c:forEach

   var="pagePromotion"
   items="${pagePromotionsBean.pagePromotionDetails}">

<fmt:formatDate pattern="dd-MMM-yyyy HH"
value="${pagePromotion.startDate}" />

</c:forEach>

now if the page can be output without filling up the buffer there is no problem, but as soon as the buffer is filled my browser displays a "cannot find server" error and oc4j console displays:-

com.evermind.server.http.HttpIOException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

        at com.evermind.server.http.EvermindServletOutputStream.flushBuffer(EvermindServletOutputStream.java:89)
        at com.evermind.server.http.EvermindServletOutputStream.flushBuffer(EvermindServletOutputStream.java:56)
        at com.evermind.server.http.EvermindHttpServletResponse.flushBuffer(EvermindHttpServletResponse.java:1894)
        at com.evermind.server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.forward(ServletRequestDispatcher.java:213)
        at com.littlewoods.util.JSPDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at com.littlewoods.command.pagepromotions.JSPPagePromotionsCommand.execute(Unknown
Source)
        at com.littlewoods.controller.pagepromotions.PagePromotionsController.doPost(Unknown
Source)
        at com.littlewoods.controller.pagepromotions.PagePromotionsController.doGet(Unknown
Source)
        at com.evermind.server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.invoke(ServletRequestDispatcher.java:721)
        at com.evermind.server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.forwardInternal(ServletRequestDispatcher.java:306)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpRequestHandler.processRequest(HttpRequestHandler.java:767)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpRequestHandler.run(HttpRequestHandler.java:259)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpRequestHandler.run(HttpRequestHandler.java:106)
        at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(PooledExecutor.java:803)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

but if the <fmt:formatDate tag is removed the page displays fine.

has anybody else had this problem?
does anyone know if it is an IE fault (as it works ok in netscape) or a problem with the JSTL? Received on Tue Jan 21 2003 - 11:46:27 CST