Re: Locks rows

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:29:32 -0600

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:sg6X9.29286$jM5.75377_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com:

>> Not sure what you mean 'cuz in SQL*Plus, I can issue a 'select for
>> update' in one shell and do the same command in another shell and one
>> blocks the other -- as expected.

> Yes, but what I meant was: how can you *predict* that Bilbo will
> issue a 'select ... for update" when Sam has issued a prior 'select
> ... for update'. You can't *force* the issue.

Good point. Of course I thought about this several hours after the fact and though, oh, that's what he meant! <g>

> Sorry. But I've been off work with the 'flu this week, and I just
> don't feel up to knocking up a demonstration right now.

Understood! Thx for the reply under weathering circumstances! :)

signed,
he-who-busted-his-wrist-two-weeks-ago <g>

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com