Re: Create a tablespace on file network

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:25:37 -0000

"Jean-Philippe Messence" <jp.messence_at_picturelan.com> wrote in message news:3e2d292f$0$270$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr...
> Hi,
> I've got a 8.1.7 Oracle database. The platform is Windows2000.
>
> I cannot create a tablespace on a file serveur in local network.
>
> CREATE TABLESPACE DATA
> DATAFILE '\\phs-stockage\oradata\phs\data01.dbf' SIZE 500M,
> DATAFILE '\\phs-stockage\oradata\phs\data02.dbf' SIZE 500M
> AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 5120K MAXSIZE 500M
> MINIMUM EXTENT 512K
> DEFAULT STORAGE ( INITIAL 8M NEXT 1M MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS 200
> OPTIMAL 15M);
As Alexy points out you will need to use a domain account to run your Oracle services to get this to work at all. A more pertinent question might be why on earth you would wish to replace disk activity with network traffic+disk activity. This will have two effects

  1. It will slow everything down unnecessarily.
  2. It will make everything much much more unstable.

Finally you have a bizarre set of parameters in your create tablespace statement.

Datafile 2 is created at 500M in size with autoextend on in 5M increments but with a maximum size of 500m, so it can never extend. Datafile 1 doesn't have autoextend on in any shape or form which is inconsistent.
You specify differently sized initial and next extents thus guaranteeing fragmentation, and leave PCTINCREASE to take the default or be specified at the segment level. This will also cause fragmentation You specify the optimal clause in the default storage clause but this doesn't look like a rollback tablespace and optimal is applicable specifically to rollback segments.

So I'm afraid to say it rather looks to me that you are attempting a daft thing (network placement of datafiles) and using a badly formed statement to do it. On the whole I'm rather glad it failed.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA