Re: OT: Richard Foote

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 21 Jan 2003 13:05:09 GMT

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in news:gXaX9.29545$jM5.76071_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com and I quote:

> At the height of the "action" I was standing on the roof
> of my house, meagre hose in hand, choking on the smoke,
> with the bushfires roaring towards me just four houses away.

Aye! Know the feeling only too well...

> section where my parents live was totally wiped out. However, when we
> eventually got through, my parents house was virtually unscathed (expect

Thank God for that!

> It's been one heck of a week !!

And it's not over yet: apparently Belconnen is next in line for a bit of a burn. Heard on the radio this morning.

All the best for you and your family, hope it all goes away soon.

In 94 I had to "fish" the wife and my baby daughter at the last hour from the Lane Cove river fires. Camped for nearly three days. I remember setting out a deck chair outside with a neighbour and an esky full of ice and beer and watching the trees blow up in flames across the river. This went on for two nights in a row. Not much left in the esky by then.

The fire brigade stopped the fire across the road from our place, bless their souls. Day sky was as dark as the night sky. I've had a totally irrational fear of bushfires since.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto