Re: Binary_code Oracle?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:05:07 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3E283416.E3E09EEB_at_exesolutions.com...
> akelavlk wrote:
>
> > I change my question. How can I see binary code of PL/SQL language in
> > ORACLE database? Is it somewhere in system table or in file?
>
> To the best of my knowledge you can't unless you just want to use vi, or
> another editor, on the Oracle binaries in $ORACLE_HOME/bin.
>
> But just because I am a curious person ... why look at executable
> code? It all looks pretty much the same.

Here is an extract from strings on oracle.exe.

NO_INDEX

INDEX_ASC
INDEX_DESC
INDEX_SS
INDEX_SS_ASC
INDEX_SS_DESC
INDEX_COMBINE
INDEX_JOIN
INDEX_FFS
INDEX_RRS

i.e. pretty much all the index hints that you might wish to use. Yet if I look up INDEX_RRS on tahiti, I can't find any reference for what I believe is the reverse range scan hint. it also doesn't appear in the list of hints for index usage at

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/hintsref .htm#10121 (url may wrap).

NB specifying the hint does change the execution plan but not in the way I'd expect. It seems equivalent to INDEX_FFS.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA