Re: Strange behavior with SQLPLUS (Oracle)

From: <Christopher.Jones_at_oracle.comX>
Date: 20 Jan 2003 12:40:02 +1100

dba_222_at_yahoo.com (Roger Redford) writes:

If COLUMN has the effect you want, then I think it will be a SQL*Plus issue.

Depending what part of your setup is "new", my guesses for the cause are:

    (i) a new version of the server optimizes buffer     allocations differently, or needs to cater for different     character sets. SQL functions like SUBSTR will display     different default column widths then you were used to.

    (ii) Different Oracle NLS settings cause buffer     expansion.

Since your neighbor's terminal is OK then I would triple-check your "copying environments" test.

Perhaps using the web based iSQL*Plus will help in general? Because it uses HTML tables the browser does most of the column resizing.

Chris

--
Christopher Jones, Oracle Corporation, Australia.