Re: Multi-homed interface and Oracle listener

From: Rick Jones <foo_at_bar.baz.invalid>
Date: 19 Jan 2003 23:12:43 GMT

In comp.sys.hp.hpux Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu> wrote:
> Normally, the Oracle listener must be configured to watch port 1521
> on each IP address configured on a system (at least when the IP
> addresses are assigned to different interfaces from previous
> configurations with multi-NIC systems I set up, as best I can
> recall). On this system, however, even though the listener
> configuration wasn't changed, clients are still able to connect to
> the database using the new IP address.

> The only thing I can think of as to why this is working is the OS is
> doing some transparent translation since the addresses are assigned
> to the same interface. Would be nice to better understand the
> dynamic that is allowing this to function. Anyone care to take a
> stab at it?

Since HP-UX (10.20 at least) has no support for NAT, it shouldn't be translating any IP addresses. Same NIC or not.

I would check the output of netstat -an | grep 1521 and make sure that the Oracle listener isn't listening on INADDR_ANY (wildcard IP), or on both IPs. The other possibility is that the client config change didn't really "take" and they are still using the old IPs. That would appear in the netstat -an output.

rick jones

feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...