Re: Java/JDBC for dumping MS SqlServer rows to a text file ?

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 18 Jan 2003 12:11:26 -0800

> Thus, when it comes to getting data into Oracle, very little IMO beats
> SQL*Loader ito performance and flexibility.

I agree completely; in fact for the loading into Oracle, our intention is using sqlloader.

> You mentioned non-standard charater sets. I have in the past loaded raw
> binary EBCDIC data on a Unix platform into Oracle, using SQL*Loader. EBDCIC
> to ASCII conversion was done in parallel with the loading via SQL*Loader.

Well, the problem is that BCP only supports straight Unicode (that is, fixed-width two-byte encoding), for the dump file; this format is not supported by sqlLoader, which supports UTF8 (variable-width encoding, 1 to two bytes for character) instead. Of course I am limiting the discussion to character sets that support our Italian characters; 7bit-ASCII is well supported by both tools ;-).
We know that it exists a tool for converting Unicode to UTF8, but then we have other problems, such as that that we must double the double-quote char to avoid conflicting with the field delimiter; we are constrained in using the following format for the sqlloader input file:

1234;"a string";"the author is ""Coleridge"", yes. "; 343

due to our customer policies, breakable only for *very* good reasons.

> I suggest sticking to standard tools. In this case BCP and SQL*Loader.
> Purchasing and/or testing other tools for a once-off data transfer... that
> IMO is a waste of time that could rather be spend on doing the transfer,
> dealing with the issues, and getting it done.

I agree ... but i don't know if this is applicable to us, sadly.

Thank you, Billy, for your answer. I really appreciate your spending your time for helping me.

Alberto Received on Sat Jan 18 2003 - 14:11:26 CST