Re: Index Compression question - afterquestion

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:28:01 +0100

Hi, Andy ...

"Andy" <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:mlVV9.3528$9R.12113872_at_newsr2.u-net.net...
> Jan
>
> I suspect that your stats were up to date but that the process of swapping
> to compressed destroyed them.

please excuse me, I am not sysad,
could You be so kind to explain
how OS swapping can destroy statistics in the data dactionary ?

> Did you drop and recreate the indexes or
> rebuild them ? If you rebuilt them did you specify compute statistics
> clause otherwise you loose stats (I believe) ?
>
> Andy

This is what I did:

ALTER INDEX ...
REBUILD
(no)compress --depends on the index
nologging
/

And I always use COMPUTE to fresh up statistics using ANALYZE or DBMS_UTILITY.

P.S. As Daniel mentioned, I should use DBMS_STATS instead ...

Jan Received on Sat Jan 18 2003 - 07:28:01 CST