Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces ... again!!!

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 18 Jan 2003 03:02:23 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:ZfKV9.26114$jM5.68590_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com and I quote:

>I certainly have been. I wouldn't mind if it was just me saying this. Being
>a nonentity from Sydney, I'd expect a vigorous debate. But Tom Kyte has said

I know you're in education and you people are weird by definition. But that doesn't make you a non-entity, Howard! ;D

> I think Nuno said it best: deal with contention, not with indexes and
> tables. I wholeheartly agree with him.

This debate reminds me of a question I get asked soooooo many times. I don't know why, but the number of disks is always 3. Not 2, not 4. 3. Why? Beats me.

Stupid as can be to configure a db server like that, but then again we're talking M$ people...

Here is the question:

"I have an NT/W2K server box with 3 disks. C,D and E. How do I split my datafiles across them to spread the load?"

The obvious reply is:

"What's your load?"

But abstracting from that, my rule of thumb follows:

1- Put Oracle software executables, NT paging, redo logs and SYSTEM in drive C. Yes, C!

Why? Because once the services are started, there is very little activity from %ORACLE_HOME%\bin. Remember, this is a server. And assuming you sized memory correctly, once the dictionary is cached the only serious activity in that disk is gonna be redo logs. Exactly what you wanted. You want the system to be balanced/performing *when* it is running along. *Not* when it is starting or shutting down!

I also fix the size of the paging. If I run our of it, then I allocate more or get more memory. Last thing I want is paging file space management in a db server. No disrespect to whomever invented such a moronic idea at M$.

2- Put tables in D.

3- Put your temp, rollback and indexes in E.

Yes, I'm separating indexes. Why? Because once I got the system running I'm gonna pretty much lock C under stock and barrel (remember, this is a *server*! There are no client programs being started ad-hoc). So I get D and E to play with. And I have three I/O "generators" in E to move over to D to balance load, *IF* I need to. Which gives me the flexibility I needed. That's all.

Comments, suggestions, welcome. Remember: rule of thumb. Not cast in stone stuff.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto