Re: novice Oracle 9i tnslsnr problem

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:55:08 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> And could we all try and back up a little bit, and get the essential point
> here: the formatting is important, and lack of formatting *can* (not
> necessarily will) make a difference to a whether a particular file can be
> parsed successfully by Oracle. And lack of formatting WILL (not can) make a
> difference to whether a particular file can be parsed and managed
> successfully by a human being, namely the poor shmuck of a DBA or (worse)
> his junior side-kick who has to be able to read it to diagnose networking
> problems.

> HJR

I cannot agree with you more, Howard!

In fact, some people think I'm rather obsessed with formatting in my own scripts ... and when I modify a single line in someone else's "messy" script, I'll often reformat the entire sql statement ... which makes CVS report that every single line in the file has been changed when all it is is a bit of added whitespace ... which makes developers very angry with me.

It also bugs me when people wrap a series of existing lines inside an IF statement, but don't take the time to indent all those lines. While it's true that the computer has no problem with the absence of whitespace, I as a human hate to sit there counting parens and such (yes, I know vi can show me matching parens, but not when the code is on a piece of paper).

I know that my news reader wraps some lines at the oddest places. Sometimes I have to copy/paste listener.ora and tnsnames.ora posts into notepad and reformat the lines before I understand what's going on. I am not a computer, after all. Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 15:55:08 CST