Re: novice Oracle 9i tnslsnr problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:11:53 +1100

> In fact, when I installed Oracle 9iAS, the following entry was added to
> one of the many generated tnsnames.ora files:
>
> repserv,repserv.world=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=LF_DEV2)(PORT=1949))

Aaaaargh.... can someone find the original post and check what the 'single line' comment I made referred to, please? I will guarantee you it *wasn't* the tnsnames.ora, but the listener.ora.

And could we all try and back up a little bit, and get the essential point here: the formatting is important, and lack of formatting *can* (not necessarily will) make a difference to a whether a particular file can be parsed successfully by Oracle. And lack of formatting WILL (not can) make a difference to whether a particular file can be parsed and managed successfully by a human being, namely the poor shmuck of a DBA or (worse) his junior side-kick who has to be able to read it to diagnose networking problems.

The OP's files were a formatting mess, and in the *specific* case of the tnsnames.ora, he had an example that was written flush-left on *multiple* lines. And that doesn't parse successfully at all. In 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 9iR1, 9iR2, Solaris and Windows. His Listener.ora was also a formatting mess, and that was always going to be difficult for him to work with, whether or not Oracle itself would have been happy with the listener information being written as a single line.

HJR Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 14:11:53 CST