Re: novice Oracle 9i tnslsnr problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:54:57 +1100

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:3e285cb5$1_1_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >

> > This won't work, because it's all over the place as a continuous line of
> > text. Lay it out properly: and I see that Karsten has already posted
> > explaining precisely how to do that.
> >
> Howard,
>
> I don't want to pick a fight or anything,

Oh, go on...

>but just in the spirit of
> experimentation, (using 816 client IIRC), I once tried putting all the
> details for each alias on one line in the tnsnames.ora file.

I may have got my wires crossed, I dunno. And I can't see the original post now to check. Single lines in the tnsnames.ora, though, is perfectly sound. Done that myself, not an issue. But stripping out all indentation when its on separate lines is a no-no, at least on Windows and Solaris.

But what I thought he (the original poster) had as a single line was the LISTENER.ora, and although in theory that should work too, it tends not to.

> It seemed to work fine. My conclusion *then* was that while I have no
> problem with Oracle's formatting, it isn't actually necessary, since
> carriage returns, spaces and tabs are ignored when parsing tnsnames.ora
>
> Was that conclusion wrong?

Ah, that conclusion is definitely wrong in the specific regard to the original post, where all lines of the tnsnames.ora were written flush left. Page 13 of my paper 'creating a tnsnames.ora file' (which can be obtained from places that only Norman Dunbar can tell you about!!) has a specific worked example where I stripped out all preceding spaces, and got an immediate 12154 (can't resolve name).

I wouldn't make any hard and fast rules about formatting (the need for it etc) above and beyond that. But clearly "innocent" format tweaks *can* break the ability to parse tnsnames.

In any case, the damn things are hard enough to read *with* the indentation. Without it, I'd be thinking of having a whiskey instead.

Regards
HJR