Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Thomas G. Marshall <tgmgack1024_at_hotgackmail.comremovegacks>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:07:57 GMT

> > If you use Java you can program anything, even a mobile phone. You will
> > also be 100% platform independent
>
> Er, no. Porting is certainly much easier than in most other languages, but
> claim of 100% platform independence (for many non-trivial applications) is
> moonshine. The biggest area seems to me to be that of bug workarounds -
many
> of the bugs in Java in Sun's database have different effects on different
> platforms.
>
> --
> Tim Ward
> Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk

Sure but that is always true of *anything* that attempts cross platform support.

And you have to admit, when they pushed the peer mechanism (heavy weight components) to the side for the swing draw as you go (light weight components) they nearly sealed that up.

Just out of curiosity, what platform specific bugs have you encountered? Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 11:07:57 CST