Index Compression question

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:03:56 +0100

Hello,

due to most information I have (the doc, some books and NG FAQ), index compression can be good for performance, on compressable indexes only, of course.

Last night I compressed half of my indexes (most composites, their cardinalities were good enough to do so), which reduced space requirements as I expected, but today, when all people are at their
working places again, everybody complains that I made the whole system slow down -
expect of one heavy duty task, which runs as fast as never before.

I know that there are various reasons why a system can be slow eventually, but for now I want to make sure that it was not due to my actions ...

So my Question is: does index compression have *negative* performance effects ?
If so, I would have to rebuild some crucial indexes again with NOCOMPRESS ...

I would appreciate any comments from the experienced gurus ...

Jan Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 04:03:56 CST