Re: Setting for default column width?

From: vlad <bulk_at_sfatcu.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:23:04 GMT

Damn it, I knew this would happen. I bring up a purely technical question, mention a Microsoft tool, and argument ends in "MS is a monopoly". With all due respect, Daniel, I am completely befuddled at your connection between column formatting and "MS monopoly". Also, I fail to see what platform-independence has got to do with this. Are you implying a trim function doesn't exist in C on Unix machines?

SQL*Plus has some cool column formatting that can be done on a specific column. Query Analyzer can specify column cut-off for all columns. Just formatting options, pure and simple. Oracle's SQL*Plus doesn't have default cut-off formatting. No biggie.

About the tools you mentioned. I did download the TOAD evaluation. It's nice, but damn, it's expensive. Close to $1000, if I remember correctly. I'll check on SQL Navigator.

vlad