Re: Tech Comparison of Oracle versus MS Sqlserver 2000

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:54:43 -0800

P wrote:

> Dusan,
>
> I have corrected the spelling of Ellison. This is the truth about this man -
> he was the first to champion the Sql language
> when no one was using it commercially. I read an old Sql manual written by
> him I think in the late 70s - when there
> was nothing like MS Dos around! In those days people had to write a page of
> code to get 2 records out of a database.
> In the book he showed he was convinced that the power of Sql would resolve
> many data access problems.
>
> I post this here every few months, with additions and corrections, for the
> benefit of those who want a tech
> comparison between the two products so they can convince their management.
>
> Regards,
>
> Porus.
>
> "Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message
> > "P" <zarathustri_at_a.com> wrote in message
> > > Oracle versus MS Sqlserver 2000
> > > -----------------------------------
> > > Technical Comparison of the Features in the two databases
> > > By Faulkner, Kent (kent.faulkner_at_trane.com) USA
> > > Updated by PorusHH, Australia
> > > Version 3.5, January 2003
> > <almost everything snipped>
> >
> > > Footnote:
> > > Oracle is the first commercial Sql database and is 25 years old in 2002,
> > > ie. it has been around since 1977. Larry Ellision the founder of Oracle
> > > has been championing the Sql language before there was any company
> around
> > > like Microsoft.
> >
> > No, no, please do not post this anymore anywhere. It was here several
> > times, we cannot bear it anymore. Pls stop this!
> >
> > BTW: Is funny if someone can't even spell name of guy whom he is
> > trying to lick a...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dusan Bolek, Ing.
> > Oracle team leader
> >
> > Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
> > can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
> > this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
> > proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
> > email.

Then please take out the offensive hyperbole and make the case in a manner that would appeal to managers.

Where's the discussion about training resources?
Where's the discussion of downtime costs?
Where's the discussion of the security model?
Where's the discussion of stability?
Where's the discussion of scalability?

Even when the points are valid, most are, they are presented in a manner that would make any manager or executive choke.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 00:54:43 CST