Re: recovering data

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:51:33 +1100

"Antonio Da Silva" <news_at_nioto.com.NoSpamMerci> wrote in message news:b07be0$b8s$1_at_news-reader10.wanadoo.fr...
> Hi,
>
> I just remove all content from a table in an Oracle 9i server,
>
> after many tries to restore it with the redologs, I can
> get it back,
>
> I use :
> --
> sql> connect internal
> sql> shutdown
> sql> startup mount
> sql> recover database until ='16-JAN-2003:00:00:00'
> sql> alter database resetlogs
> ---
> No error are displayed, and
> oracle says that recovery is done, but my table is always empty,
> did I miss something ?

Well, I hope you remembered to copy your controlfile and online redo logs somewhere safe before performing this incomplete recovery, because otherwise you're not going to be able to re-perform it.

Without more information, it's impossible to give you a definitive answer, but usually when a 'recover until time' fails to recover the required data it's simply that the time specified in the recovery statement was wrong -ie, recovery until Xam replays all redo up until that time, including the delete statement that was issued at X-10 minutes.

So you recovered until midnight on 16th January. What time did you delete the records? If it was at 00:01 on the 17th, your recovery should have got the data back. But if you deleted them at 23:59, then your recovery would merely have re-performed the deletion you were trying to recover from.

Did you really delete the records *after* midnight on the 16th? (You need to stop working so late at nights if so!).

Unfortunately, if you failed to take a precautionary, extra backup of the control files and the online redo logs *before* restoring all the datafiles and performing this recovery, you can't repeat the procedure with a more appropriate 'until time' clause. The resetlogs command you've issued means that your prior data file backups are now completely useless.

But if you *did* take an extra backup of the control files and redo logs, replace the ones you have now with those, and then re-restore all the datafiles from your "proper" backup, and repeat the recovery using a more accurate 'until time'. You need to halt the recovery just before the time you issued the delete command.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 00:51:33 CST