Re: Sizing SHARED_POOL_SIZE

From: Vincent Ventrone <grump_at_byu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:22:04 -0500

> Can someone tell me how to determine a 'correct' value for the init.ora
> value: SHARED_POOL_SIZE ?

There is no single "correct" size -- it all depends very much on the applications supported by the database (that is, the queries & the DB objects being accessed). But if I have no information at all about the application, then I usually just set it to approx. 25MB & then keep an eye on the Data Dictionary & Library Cache hit ratios -- if these are less than, say, 90% I bump it up by another 10MB till the rates improve to at 90% (assuming there is memory to spare on the box.)

You can spend a lot more time on this & be more scientific, but I think my method works well enough... Received on Thu Jan 16 2003 - 13:22:04 CST