Auditing

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:52:52 -0000

I have tried to avoid auditing (on principle) until now, but I am now likely to have to implement AUDIT SELECT ON... for a number of tables in our intranet solution. Taking a quick browse through the docs I see

The maximum size of the database audit trail (SYS.AUD$ table) is determined by the default storage parameters of the SYSTEM tablespace, in which it is stored. You should not move SYS.AUD$ to another tablespace as a means of controlling the growth and size of the audit trail. However, you can modify the storage parameters for SYS.AUD$.

      Note:
      Moving the SYS.AUD$ table out of the SYSTEM tablespace is not
supported because the Oracle code makes implicit assumptions about the data dictionary tables, such as SYS.AUD$, which could cause problems with upgrades and backup/recovery scenarios.

Is this in fact just rubbish as far as backup and recovery goes? I can't see how this dire warning makes any sense at all. I'm not convinced about the upgrade scenario either, but that can be dealt with by purging the audit trail and moving the table back before upgrade.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA