Re: Q re command files for Oracle start/stop

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:24:23 -0000

"Gerald B. Rosenberg" <No_at_address.net> wrote in message news:MPG.188fe5002415de19896ff_at_news.concentric.net...

> In a related thread, these command files were offered as appropriate to
> start/stop an Oracle instance for incidental use.
>
> I am using similar command files to start and stop only the oracle
> service for nightly backups (Oracle8i on WinNT). The command files are
> called automatically by BackupExec as part of the nightly backup run.
>
> Have I been defying the odds or is there no downside to leaving the
> listener service running while the oracle instance is stopped and
> restarted each night? Would you recommend start/stopping the listener
> each time? (Database usage is essentially 12x5, so attempts to use the
> database during backup runs simply don't occur.)

In the context I offered those scripts there was a requirement to minimise resource usage on the machine running Oracle (I.E. it was a workstation). On my machine the listener uses 6mb of RAM, not a huge amount but why use it if you don't want it.

 There is as Howard says absolutely no need to stop a listener for backup purposes. I'd go further and say that there is absolutely no need to stop a database for backup purposes either, but thats a slightly different discussion.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA