Re: restore a single datafile

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:19:10 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:_5nV9.25047$jM5.66228_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> You say that you dropped the tablespace. That's a problem (and, as an
aside,
> I always tell my students that this is a most unlikely recovery scenario,
> since you can't drop a tablespace that's got anything in it casually. You
> have to be really deliberate about it and use the 'including contents'
> clause. Not something you are likely to do by accident. Or so I thought).

I don't know how common this occurrence actually is, but it does seem to me to fall into a class of problems that happen all the time. Something is no longer required, you really *know* that its no longer required. So you delete it. 2 Days later you discover that all you know is wrong and you did need that file,email, notification of employment. tablespace whatever. Now obviously as a user when you log that support ticket the resource was deleted 'by accident', 'the dog ate it' etc etc.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA