Q re command files for Oracle start/stop

From: Gerald B. Rosenberg <No_at_address.net>
Date: 16 Jan 2003 05:39:33 GMT

In article <3e25281a$0$235$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>, n- litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk says...

> StartOracle.cmd
> ===========
> net start oracleservice<sidname>
> net start oracle<orahomename>TNSListener
>
> and
>
> StopOracle.cmd
> ===========
> net stop oracle<orahomename>TNSListener
> net stop oracleservice<sidname>
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

In a related thread, these command files were offered as appropriate to start/stop an Oracle instance for incidental use.

I am using similar command files to start and stop only the oracle service for nightly backups (Oracle8i on WinNT). The command files are called automatically by BackupExec as part of the nightly backup run.

Have I been defying the odds or is there no downside to leaving the listener service running while the oracle instance is stopped and restarted each night? Would you recommend start/stopping the listener each time? (Database usage is essentially 12x5, so attempts to use the database during backup runs simply don't occur.)

Thanks

--
Gerald B. Rosenberg