Re: log archive question

From: Glen A. Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_yahoo.nosp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:34:42 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:NAnV9.25063$jM5.66389_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

snip

> If you really need to, go right ahead -but then, if you're that worried
> about a couple of extra processes on your box, I would probably leap to
the
> conclusion that you were running this database on a spare 286 you had
dusted
> off for the purpose. It's really not going to kill you having the extra
> processes, and as your alert log indicates, whatever toe-stepping there
> might be at times is soon sorted out, and archive 7 got successfully
> archived in the end.
>
> It's seems just plain daft to want to switch off something that was
> customers' big ask when version 8i was being thought about.
>
> Either that, or you're just a die-hard Oracle 7 or 8 user who *likes*
having
> single ARCH processes. No accounting for taste I suppose!! ;-)
>
> Regards
> HJR

Thanks for the insight Howard, and no I didn't add the line to the init.ora file, after some more watching the alert log I realized I was getting way to much writing to disk for the archived logs, even after increasing the size to 5m from 1m, so I added another group and made them all 25m and that seems to have settled things down.

Now I have to find out why this app (just came online) is generating so much redo for what is a relatively "quiet" database.

cheers Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 21:34:42 CST