Re: How to extract datafiles from a RMAN backup set?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:22:26 +1100

"CoolBooks" <jlu_edu_at_mail.com> wrote in message news:f45d8360.0301151044.7a47f74b_at_posting.google.com...
> I am trying to extract datafiles from a RMAN backup set when the
> original database is not available. Do you know how?

I hate to say this, but you can't. You're about to do a *restore*. That implies retrieving something and placing it back where it originally came from. You can't do that if the original database is not running.

> I checked RMAN reference for the command "RESTORE". It requires the
> original databse up and running for restoring any files from the
> backup set.
> My DB version is 9i.

Do you mean that the restore you want to do is because the entire target database has blown up really seriously, and there's nothing left of it that's useable? Because that *is* possible. It's really quite involved, though, so rather than plod through the details here, have a look at the RMAN documentation for the phrase 'disaster recovery'.

I hope you'd remembered to configure controlfile autobackup on, however, as that's pretty much a requirement to get the procedure to work.

Regards
HJR