Re: novice Oracle 9i tnslsnr problem

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:45:35 GMT

Dieter A. wrote:
> I'm an oracle novice and I've been trying to figure this tnslistener
> problem out for days with no luck.
> I installed Oracle 9i on Suse 8 linux. It works correctly except for
> the tnslsnr. When I try to tnsping $ORACLE_SID it won't work claiming
> used parameter file .../sqlnet.ora
> TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
>
> however, when I tnsping localhost ,it works stating
> used .../sqlnet.ora
> used HOSTNAME adapter to resolve alias
> OK( 10msec )
>
> The files are below:
>
> tnsnames.ora
> ============
> MYDB =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT=1521)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME=mydb)
> )
> )
>

> sqlnet.ora
> ==========
> # SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: .../sqlnet.ora
> # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
>
> NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = local
>
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)
>

> listener.ora
> ============
> LISTENER = (ADDRESS_LIST= (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)
> (HOST=localhost)(PORT=1521)) (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=PNPKEY)))
The argument for tnsping is a tnsnames.ora alias - for example:

tnsping mydb

Comment out the names.default_domain entry in sqlnet.ora. This parameter is meant to always append a domain to whatever you specify as a host (to save you typing, among other things).

The syntax of your listener.ora is incorrect. It should be something like this:

listener =

   (description_list =

     (description =
       (address = (protocol=ipc)(key=extproc))
     )
     (description =
       (address = (protocol=tcp)(host=<hostname>)(port=1521))
     )