Re: oracle equiv. of SQLServer DMO?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:56:59 -0800

tojo wrote:

> In article <c5c9bfea.0301140755.7f61b7c9_at_posting.google.com>,
> dominic.morris_at_eidosnet.co.uk says...
> > Hi all,
> > WARNING: oracle newbie!
> >
> > I'd like to get hold the Oracle equiv. of the Microsoft SQLDMO DLL.
> > Basically, I'd like a Win32 component which provided a list of Oracle
> > servers on the network, for each of these, a list of DBs (schemas?,
> > terminology mismatch?) in it, for each DB a list of tables & procs,
> > for each table a list of columns and info on each column, for each
> > proc its text., etc. etc.
> >
> > If there isn't a pre-packaged DLL that will do this job, I need to
> > write one myself. I figure that once I'm logged into a server, I can
> > query the system tables for most of this, but the top-level (i.e. list
> > of available Oracle servers on the network) is stumping me. I'd prefer
> > that the user selects the Oracle server he wants to connect to from a
> > listbox, rather than have to enter the server SID(?) into a textbox...
> >

> Probably the safest bet is to just parse tnsnames.ora and extract the
> service names. That's how other tools do it.
>
> -- Tom

There is no reason to believe that tnsnames.ora exists. Nor is there any reason to believe, even if it does exist, that it contains that the information contained refers to more than a single instance and doesn't contain a substantial amount of bad infromation.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 16:56:59 CST