Re: Data Dictionary: relative_fno question

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:53:08 +0100

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:47:08 +0100, "Jan Gelbrich"
> <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote:
>
> >Any hints greatfully appreciated.
>

> relative_fno is implemented because of partitioning and sorry to say
> so but this is definitely a doc question (The Oracle Reference manual
> describes all dictionary views)

Thank You, Sybrand. I immediately re-readed the online doc (of 8.1.7), but I am sorry: I cannot see any link to what you are indicating: The doc is (of course) very short:
<citation>
DBA_SEGMENTS
 RELATIVE_FNO NUMBER Relative file number of the segment header

DBA_DATA_FILES
RELATIVE_FNO NUMBER Relative file number  </citation>

Searching the entire doc by the docs phenomenal java searching window by entering "RELATIVE_FNO" and such (including googling around) did not bring me much further ...
and that is why I put my question - which maybe silly, but no matter - *here* ...

To come back to facts, I do _not_ use *any* partitioned objects. But even without having
anything to do with partitioning, tablespaces can have more than one data file -
and some actually do.

Does RELATIVE_FNO only begin to have a meaning by starting partitioning ? I find it hard to beleive - sorry ...

So I still have no clue: why cannot I see all data file (fno) in DBA_SEGMENTS ? regards,
Jan Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 12:53:08 CST