Re: Benchmarks

From: Sean McKeown <smckeown_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:10:29 -0700

mbrugo_at_yahoo.it wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:54:16 -0800, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
> >And, just as an aside, I find it nearly impossible to believe that you
> >folks have identical expertise with Solaris with HP/UX and with AIX. I'd
> >seriously consider the cost of having an O/S you don't know as well vs. one
> >you do know well.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
>
> Dear Daniel,
> it's true, we have not a complete experience on all O.S.
> But suppose you tell me that aix is better than solaris, my company
> will buy an expert on aix, if solaris is better than HP-UX it'll buy
> an expert on solaris and so on.

Seems like a silly way to go about it. There's lots more to running a production Oracle database than taking a survey on the "best OS" and "buying an expert" to suit. For instance, what happens when the expert your company bought is on vacation? Or having her appendix removed? How many experts will your company buy for this machine that some stranger on the internet told you was "the best"?

> we want to upgrade and my question was:
> now we are running on hp-ux 9000N, from your experience
> using a SAN which is the best hw for oracle ?

Best is whatever makes the most sense for your business - performance, stability, scalability, price, supportability, etc. - there is no one right answer, except that profitability has the final say as to whether you chose correctly.

Regards,
Sean Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 21:10:29 CST