Re: oracle 9i application server problem

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:47:36 +0100

Gurmukh wrote:
> hi,
>
> we are having a tough time configuring oracle 9ias??can you clarify a
> few things in that:
>
> 1. what all components must be installed (we have installed
> infrastructure,businness forms,portal)??all components installed on
> win2000,same machine.

That certainly is a possibility, given enough memory (2GB at least)

> 2. we are not able to get opening page for enterprise manager NOW on
> port 1810,we were getting it before installing portal kit????

Is OEM website still installed? Is de service running?

> 3. do we need to make any changes in registry for oracle homes as 9ias
> has provided various oracle homes(till now three),but only one of them
> works others give error ora-12560:tns protocol adapter error.i tried
> creating oracle_sid in environment variables but it didn't work.

What did you do, that didn't work? A protocol adapter error means something like you try to use a protocol that is not supported, e.g. IPX where you did not install IPX SQL*Net support. Introduce tns_admin string entries in the various oracle home entries, pointing to the one that works.

> 4. do we need to install development tools seperately:jdeveloper/plsql
> forms,oracle forms/reports(isn;t it part of 9ias suite).

Do you need them. That's you answer

> 5. where are plsql(web forms) files to be deployed to be run from the
> browser and how to execute them.

pl/sql and webforms are two different things. pl/sql resides in the database, and is accessed through a Database Access Descriptor (DAD) The browser would point to:
<your machine>[:<non-standard port>]/pls/<DAD>/<procedure name>, where procedure can be packaged (and is subsequently called as: package.procedure).
Webforms are forms, created with Forms Designer. Just put the in the search path of your forms server. If you develop cross platform, or cross versions, put the .fmb over to the server, and recompile to .fmx That would require (parts of) the Forms Developer suite (now called ODS) to be present at the server as well. Grtz, Frank Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 13:47:36 CST