Re: Identifying super users

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:39:47 +1100

> > <tunity5_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
[snip]

> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> couldnt you use the data dictionary to see who has DBA priviledges?

First of all, there is no such thing as a DBA 'privilege'. There is a DBA *role*, and you could certainly see who has been granted that role by querying an appropriate DBA_ view in the data dictionary.

But the owner of that role would not have the rights to shutdown, startup, backup or restore a database, nor create one in the first place. Only the holder of the SYSDBA privilege (or SYSOPER, with restrictions) can do that.

The problem is that if you are using O/S authentication of privileged users, then you can't actually grant SYSDBA to anyone. You grant the 'privilege' by modifying group memberships at the O/S level. If you use passwordfile authentication, you also can't grant the SYSDBA privilege to anyone if the password file is a shared one: only SYS (and INTERNAL in earlier versions) could have an entry in such a file.

If the password file is exclusive, then the V$ view I mentioned shows you which 'real' users have an entry in the password file, and thus to whom the SYSDBA privilege has been granted. Whilst the V$ views aren't technically part of the data dictionary, they are close enough to count, I think.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 12:39:47 CST