Re: Upgrading 8.0.4 to 8.1.7 on NT

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 08:43:10 -0800

Not really, since on NT/2000/XP simply installing the 8.1.7 software will generate a prompt to migrate an existing database from whatever it is to 8.1.7. You'll get the choice of migrating during the installation or waiting until later to do so. Presuming you have the 'horsepower' I'd migrate the database during the software installation, saving you some time and, possibly, grief (I've used this in the field several times over the past year and, providing you have enough resource, it works quite well). You CAN, of course, defer the migration until after the software is installed, and, yes, then the procedure is a bit more involved. So, if you have enough memory (512 Meg, at minimum) go ahead and let the migration occur during the software installation. If not, visit the site Peter recommended.

David Fitzjarrell