Is this the correct way to use dbms_system.set_ev?

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:39:20 -0700

Folks -

I'm definitely rusty on the setting of events that will spill all sorts of
information when a particular error occurs. In my case, I'm using a third-party GUI mapping tool, and the application will return ORA-1410 (invalid ROWID) and ORA-3123 (operation would block) errors at different times. Always, I receive notice of an ORA-7445 in my alert log and resulting trace file, but I'd love to get more information

on the specific errors that I'm seeing onscreen, if possible.

I identify my sid and serial# after I make my database connection but before the error occurs. As user sys on my database, I enter the following (the sid is 33, serial# 396):

exec dbms_system.set_ev(33,396,1410,12,'ERRORSTACK'); exec dbms_system.set_ev(33,396,3123,12,'ERRORSTACK');

My error occurs, and yet nothing appears. Aren't the statements above sufficient? I'm not interested in any bind variables or event 10046.

I remember back in the olden days using a command of the form "alter session set events '942 trace name ERRORSTACK level 3';" to get information when an ORA-942 would occur.

Thanks very much,
Tom Received on Mon Jan 13 2003 - 17:39:20 CST