Re: ADDRESS_LIST, CONNECT_DATA in OCILogon

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2003 15:14:35 -0800

oratune_at_msn.com (David Fitzjarrell) wrote in message news:<32d39fb1.0301131148.3d189f2c_at_posting.google.com>...
> I can't see how that will help, since he's clearly wishing to bypass
> the tnsnames mechanism altogether, and all the TNS_ADMIN variable does
> is point one to a new or different location for a tnsnames.ora file.

I understand he is wishing to bypass the tnsnames.ora file but my response was to his last statement about the environment variable.

> I find nothing in the documentation offering any connection method
> outside of the SQL*Net model, however I don't write enough OCI code to
> have come across any workarounds for database connections. Possibly
> someone else has some further insight into this; for now I can only
> say there is no other method, outside of using the tnsnames.ora file,
> to connect to an instance.

I don't write OCI code myself but to say that there is no other method to connect to the database outside of tnsnames.ora file is incorrect. Tnsnames.ora file only lists the connection parameters to a local/remote database. Given the username/password and the service_name, Sqlnet/Net8 extracts the information from tnsnames.ora file to create a connect url and establish a connection.

Here is a good example of this,

JDBC thin driver does not require a tnsnames.ora or Sqlnet, Net8 or even an Oracle client install. It sits on top of TCP/IP stack... and all it needs is username/password, HOST, PORT and SID to create a connect url and establish a connection. On the other hand JDBC native Oci driver requires Sqlnet/Net8, tnsnames.ora and client install because it uses Sqlnet/net8 to establish the connection.

If Java can do it with thin driver...then I am sure it can be done in C. Since OCI is written in C...then there is a possibility that Oracle has provided some functionality to bypass tnsnames.ora. Maybe someone who codes in OCI can verify that.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon Jan 13 2003 - 17:14:35 CST