Re: Can a user function do it?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:55:20 -0800

sfdsf wrote:

> >> sorry 25

> >> is it possible to use a function, maybe by looking at the previous year's
> > row?
> >
> >No.
> >
> >Why so much effort put into not writing a stored procedure?
> >
> >In the time you've put into these emails you could have written the proc.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
> >

> the is being used by an external reporting tool.
>
> The change to the procedure (creating another table) will take 5 minutes or
> less. The issue is that its in a production environment, the code changes
> have to be approved by a tech commitee, the changes have to be documentated
> and it has to be regression tested in both a develoment and staging
> enviromnet. We then have to schedule a migration and attend the migration
> meeting where it will be discussed. Non emergency migrations like this one
> require a 3 week lead time.
>
> That is why I was asking if it could be done via sql, since it would save us
> all that trouble.

Anyone that would let you implement a SQL solution with less rigor than a stored proc needs to learn a bit of QA: Though I understand you just work with the rules as they are dictated to you.

If your concern is just avoiding QA why not just type the values in by hand?

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jan 13 2003 - 01:55:20 CST