Re: Oracle Application Server - hardware config concepts

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:43:37 GMT

timasmith_at_hotmail.com (Tim Smith) wrote in news:a7234bb1.0301120856.61ede806_at_posting.google.com:

> Hi,
> We are looking at the following config for a small intranet
>
> Oracle Application Server
> Oracle 9i database
> 2 Compaq Intel servers running Red Hat Linux
> Raid 5 storage (5 x 18GB)
>
> There will be a number of intranet apps which will generate a light
> load on the servers - though will require the ability to scale as more
> and more apps get loaded.
>
> The database will provide permanet storage however I envision that
> the Java Servlets will provide most of the caching. Take for instance
> a phonebook - it is quicker to search a database structure than to
> execute the equivalent SQL.
>
> So my big question is how to split up the components. By default I
> would expect OAS + HTTP server on one server, Database on second
> server. But I suspect that the database server would hardly be used.
> Is there any other component of OAS that I can move over to the
> database server to spread the load? The apps will be exclusively Java
> Servlets - no CGI allowed so I assume keeping the HTTP server where
> the servlets are simplifies things.
>
> thanks
>
> Tim

9iAS R2 consists of two major categories of components; Infrastructure and all the rest. The Infrastructure consists of a DB containing OID & similar data. A separate Apache HOMEs are required; one to support the Infrastructure & a different one to support the rest.

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Sun Jan 12 2003 - 11:43:37 CST