Re: Performance issue while loading large amount of data

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:26:55 +1100

"Noons" <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:Xns930171DE5FD11mineminemine_at_210.49.20.254...
> Wanderley <wces123_at_yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:LHZT9.34340$Pb.923348_at_twister.austin.rr.com and I quote:
>

> > I agree. As always, practice makes perfect. You have to find the sweet
> > spot between no commits at all (which would require very large rollback
> > segs) or too many commits (which would slow down your job).
>

> Let's make something clear here. A large transaction size
> (infrequent COMMIT) on an INSERT does NOT necessarily imply
> the need for very large rollback segments.

Well, it implies getting on for 18 bytes per row, since the rowid of the record about to be inserted is stored in rollback. Small, perhaps. But not nothing.

> Rollback segments are hardly used for mass loads into a table.
> The only case where that would be true would be if the table
> was already indexed, in which case the rollback stuff would be
> on the index blocks.
>

> A pure INSERT hardly uses any rollback at all, and then only
> for space management at dictionary level (recursive SQL).

Er, I could be wrong, but see above: there *is* some rollback generated on the table being inserted into. The rollback generated by an insert is not just for the recursive stuff.

Regards
HJR