Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: A Bag Of Memes <a_at_b.c>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:18:58 GMT

"Ingo Pakleppa" <ingo-immigration_at_kkeane.com> wrote in message news:0g%T9.7903$hE3.445575_at_news1.west.cox.net...
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:33:20 +0000, Chad Myers wrote:
>

> > "Ingo Pakleppa" <ingo-immigration_at_kkeane.com> wrote in message

> > Unix

> >> IMAP, LDAP and NNTP come very close to Exchange's features.
> >
> > um, not they don't. No contact management, no calendar management,
> > journaling, instant messaging, info-store-as-file-store, etc, etc, etc.
> > The only things that come close are Notes and SuckWise-- I mean
> > GroupWise.
>
> Contact management: LDAP (and vcard). Calendar management: vcalendar.
> (although I have to admit that I'm still looking for a server component
> that handles that. It's a non-issue for my situation).
> Instant messaging: I didn't know Exchange or Outlook could even do it. In
> any case, gaim seems to do the trick for me just fine; I don't see any
> particular advantage of integrating that.

They aren't integrated. That's the business value Exchange provides. One person modifies an MS Project document, 20 people's schedules are updated, notification alarms go off on their PDAs, etc.

It's easy to focus on the technology and remain oblivious to the business value. Received on Sat Jan 11 2003 - 16:18:58 CST