Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Ingo Pakleppa <ingo-immigration_at_kkeane.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:37:16 GMT

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:33:20 +0000, Chad Myers wrote:

> "Ingo Pakleppa" <ingo-immigration_at_kkeane.com> wrote in message

> Unix
>> >
>> > Oh yeah, POP3/SMTP is far superior to Exchange. Where's that
>> > all-inclusive collaboration package for *nix?
>>
>> IMAP, LDAP and NNTP come very close to Exchange's features.

> um, not they don't. No contact management, no calendar management,
> journaling, instant messaging, info-store-as-file-store, etc, etc, etc.
> The only things that come close are Notes and SuckWise-- I mean
> GroupWise.

Contact management: LDAP (and vcard). Calendar management: vcalendar. (although I have to admit that I'm still looking for a server component that handles that. It's a non-issue for my situation). Instant messaging: I didn't know Exchange or Outlook could even do it. In any case, gaim seems to do the trick for me just fine; I don't see any particular advantage of integrating that.

What is info-store-as-file-store?

>> In fact, I'm
>> running a Linux mail server that essentially replaces all important
>> Exchange features.

> Not even close. Exchange is not just mail, you know.

Yes. I know. See above, my Linux mail server also does a lot more.

>> > Why do the Linux folk try to duplicate Outlook (see Evolution)?
>>
>> Because many Linux folks live in worlds that still use some Microsoft
>> technology. Evolution is just a client (and one of many), just as

> Outlook
>> is.

> Outlook is more than just an email client.

I never said otherwise ;-) Outlook is best described as a PIM, just as Evolution.

>> What makes Evolution special is that it can interact with a regular
>> Windows Exchange server and understands Microsoft's proprietary

> protocols.
>
> Cool.
>
> MAPI is published. It's still "proprietary", but it's published, so it's
> not that great of a feat that they're doing it.

Actually, MAPI doesn't help you here because it is an API, not a protocol. An API only does you any good if there is some code that implements it. As far as I know, the protocol is licensed only under non-disclosure, which is why Ximian has to keep the Exchange interface as closed-source. Received on Sat Jan 11 2003 - 14:37:16 CST