Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: kim bruning <kim_at_NObruning.SPAMdemon.HEREnl.invalid>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:11:12 +0100

Chad Myers <cmyers_at_n0.sp.4m.austin.rr.com> wrote:

> "kim bruning" <kim_at_NObruning.SPAMdemon.HEREnl.invalid> wrote in message

>> Chad Myers <cmyers_at_n0.sp.4m.austin.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> > "kim bruning" <kim_at_NObruning.SPAMdemon.HEREnl.invalid> wrote in

> message

>> > But not of the caliber of VS.NET, especially for C++ work.
>>
>> Let's not start another IDE war. Let's just say I'm a vi addict and
>> leave it at that, ok?

> vi is an editor, not an IDE. You're comparing apples to oranges.

But but they're both fruit, and apples are more tasty.

Actually especially vim has all kinds of hooks to external applications which together makes for some truely decent editing. Basically, all of unix is one big IDE (especially if you install the "developer packages").

> VS.NET is the best C++ IDE.

I'll take your word for it, but I'll use vim to tangle with c++ thanks. :-) (Like I said, I prefer apples. Can't argue with taste. ;-) ).

> vi may or may not be the best text
> editor.
> Actually, ed is the best text editor.

You do realise of course that ed begat ex (Ed eXtended), and that later versions of ex included a VIsual mode. On some systems, vi is just a symlink to ex. Just thought you'd like to know. ;-)

Summarising, I'm using the bastard grand stepchild of the worlds best text editor, namely: vim.

> In fact, the
> word "editor" comes from ed, not "viitor" or "emacsitor"

Sure, in fact vi comes from ed extended VIsual mode.

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed

Odd...

kim_at_bruning:~ > ls -l `where ed`

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        62573 May 11  2001 /bin/ed
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Oct 28  2001 /usr/bin/ed -> /bin/ed

>> > Oh yeah, POP3/SMTP is far superior to Exchange. Where's that
>> > all-inclusive collaboration package for *nix?
>>
>> I think it's called finger. ;-)

> You can do calendar scheduling over finger? :)

Yup.
chmod g+w .plan

Now people can log in and do stuff like: echo "G\na\nCome by the old docks tomorrow at noon or else!\n.\nw\n" |

      ed ~chad/.plan

See? They can even use the worlds' best text editor if they like. What more could you want? Mermaids?

Actually, that's quite a flexible way of dealing with schedules.

> What about that ever-popular quote service?

But it makes calendaring so hard....

rm .plan; # There goes the calendar
mkfifo .plan
while true; do fortune > .plan; sleep 1; done & disown

in both cases:
finger chad_at_hiscoolbox.ohyeah.com
Should give people access to your calendar or quote service. (we could do both, but that gets tricky. Maybe try netcat, hmmm)

>> > Why do the Linux folk try to duplicate Outlook (see Evolution)?
>>
>> Why, to allow linux machines to displace windows machines
>> entirely of course. World domination!

> Erm. Right. *looks at watch*. Wow, Linux gained 0.2% on the
> desktop in the past 2 years or so on the desktop. At that rate,
> it'll be about 940 years or so before Linux dominates. ;)

You can see that on your watch? Is that the IBM one that runs linux? Wow, cool! [1]

Well, anyway, as you can see, in 940 years it *will* dominate on the desktop, or what's left of it ;). So there you have it.

>> > Actually, it's already done. The CIL and C# are standards and cannot >> > be "pulled" anymore.

<snip cool data>.
Wicked! I'm going to look at that.

> Also, Microsoft released Rotor (aka Shared Source CLI - SSCLI)
> which runs on Windows, *BSD, MacOS X, and Linux. It's full
> source including the CLR, FCL, and C# compiler.

Shared Source? Auh... that sounds scary... Got a link to their licencing scheme?

<snip more cool docs. Thank you.>

> The main argument is that MSIL is actually compiled, it's not
> interpreted, so it doesn't have to emulate some system services
> like the JVM does (though I'm not sure modern JVMs do this or
> not).

Since java 1.2 java uses a Just In Time compiler.

Experimentally there's also been a Transmeta Crusoe masquerading as a jvm. (Though it's not really a VM if you can kick it, now is it?)

This is a fun discussion!
read you soon,

        Kim Bruning

[1] Linux already dominates on the wristwatch. The desktop is NeXT! Received on Sat Jan 11 2003 - 07:11:12 CST