Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Chad Myers <cmyers_at_N0.SP.4M.austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:33:20 GMT

"Ingo Pakleppa" <ingo-immigration_at_kkeane.com> wrote in message news:c1NT9.5555$hE3.123369_at_news1.west.cox.net...
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:24:53 +0000, Chad Myers wrote:
>
> >> Finally Exchange is the only thing that isn't pervasive on unix.
Unix
> >> people like to feel they have superior tools to that. ;-)
> >
> > Oh yeah, POP3/SMTP is far superior to Exchange. Where's that
> > all-inclusive collaboration package for *nix?
>
> IMAP, LDAP and NNTP come very close to Exchange's features.

um, not they don't. No contact management, no calendar management, journaling, instant messaging, info-store-as-file-store, etc, etc, etc. The only things that come close are Notes and SuckWise-- I mean GroupWise.

> In fact, I'm
> running a Linux mail server that essentially replaces all important
> Exchange features.

Not even close. Exchange is not just mail, you know.

> > Why do the Linux folk try to duplicate Outlook (see Evolution)?
>
> Because many Linux folks live in worlds that still use some Microsoft
> technology. Evolution is just a client (and one of many), just as
Outlook
> is.

Outlook is more than just an email client.

> What makes Evolution special is that it can interact with a regular
> Windows Exchange server and understands Microsoft's proprietary
protocols.

Cool.

MAPI is published. It's still "proprietary", but it's published, so it's not that great of a feat that they're doing it.

-c Received on Sat Jan 11 2003 - 00:33:20 CST