Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Jeremy Smith <alceste_at_xmission.xmission.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:35:15 +0000 (UTC)

>> Precisely.  And let me stress: this "duality" comes from the J2EE crowd
>> every single time, IME.  Not once are they willing to accept that there
>> is a little bit more about databases than just what JDBC has.

> Sadly, yes. (I'm a J2EE guy trying to fight this bullshit).

>> Tell that to J2EE "God" Scott Ambler & Co. And the Jakarta mob...

> book that actually explains Oracle's design in detail... That is,
> until Tom Kyte's book came along, which I believe should be mandatory
> reading for any J2EE developer.

I have to put in a plug for Rod Johnson's "Expert One-on-One" here which is a pretty good companion to Tom Kyte's book in that it's both accurate, pragmatic, and written by someone who knows what they're talking about.

It's a J2EE book that tells you when not to use J2EE, when to limit its usage, and most importantly, provides alternative ways of doing things it sucks at, for instance, interfacing to a database with stored procedures.

Jer Received on Sat Jan 11 2003 - 02:35:15 CST