Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces ... again!!!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:55:28 -0800

David Sharples wrote:

> "Charlie Edwards" <charlie3101_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

> > I get transferred to another project and, lo-and-behold, we're back to
> > Dictionary Managed Tablespaces (sigh), with tables and indexes in
> > separate tablespaces (double sigh).
> >

> On my recent Oracle DBA Admin Part 1 course (8i) I was told to keep indexes
> and tables in seperate tablespaces
> to group segments of similar type together. Is this wrong now?
>
> Dave

It is not wrong. It is just not the point though it is repeated so much it is taking on the status of urban mythology.

The point is to spread I/O as evenly across available disks as possible. That can be done by using separate tablespaces ONLY if those tablespaces are composed of datafiles that spread I/O ....

In a situation with RAID and striping it likely serves no useful purpose.

By that will not stop many from repeating the mantra.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 15:55:28 CST