Re: dbms_jobs versus cron

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:52:54 -0800

Paul Brewer wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> ><snip>
> >
> > The other issue I have with cron is
> > that it is happy to try running a job even when the database is down.
> > With DBMS_JOBS when the job kicks off you at least have an assurance that
> > Oracle is up and running.
> >

> Just to play devil's advocate for a moment:
>
> On the other hand, a cron job can email you to let you know that it is
> unable to run because the database is down.
>
> Regards,
> Paul
>
> P.S. Earlier in this thread I suggested that cron and db jobs are
> complementary - not opposing - utilities.

And DBMS_JOBS can email you and tell you anything you want to know about the process including whether there are broken jobs: No tool is perfect. But if the SysAdmin doesn't already have something to notify when the DB is down the SysAdmin has more problems than just the immediate one.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 15:52:54 CST