Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Chad Myers <cmyers_at_N0.SP.4M.austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:24:53 GMT

"kim bruning" <kim_at_NObruning.SPAMdemon.HEREnl.invalid> wrote in message news:98tmva.m3u.ln_at_bruning.demon.nl...

> .Net is covered by Ximian. SQL is not an MS invention, and SQL
> support on unix platforms is pervasive.

Actually, SQL 7 and SQL 2000 are MS inventions.

SQL 6.5 and lesser were Sybase-based, but SQL 7 had a newly rewritten engine. They did a fairly good job, but they mostly rewrote it again for SQL 2000.

> Office compatibility is
> offered by multiple unix and linux vendors and project groups.

*snicker*

> Visual Studio is "Not The Unix Way", though there are several
> other ides available.

But not of the caliber of VS.NET, especially for C++ work.

> Finally Exchange is the only thing that
> isn't pervasive on unix. Unix people like to feel they have
> superior tools to that. ;-)

Oh yeah, POP3/SMTP is far superior to Exchange. Where's that all-inclusive collaboration package for *nix?

Why do the Linux folk try to duplicate Outlook (see Evolution)?

> > With all pervasive MS presence
> > makes sense to stick to MS if that is your primary deployment
platform
> > if Windows is your primary platform and you are going Java you will
> > face more interoperability problems than any advantages.
>
> Sure, but if your clientele is the world over, you appear to be
> advocating the exclusion of 30% of your client base on servers,
> just as a start, even if your numbers are correct.
>
> Not to flame you or anything, but that doesn't sound like such a great
> idea.
>
> > Today C# as all the features of Java and C# as already been
submitted
> > to ECMA standards body whereas Sun as not submitted Java to ECMA.
>
> Sun certainly *submitted* java to a standards body, then retracted
that
> submission again.

Twice, as a matter of fact. They never completed the submission process.

> There's nothing stopping MS from trying the same.

Actually, it's already done. The CIL and C# are standards and cannot be "pulled" anymore.

MS has also got preliminary approval for ISO standardization process.

> > Compare language feature by feature C# as everything Java as and
more.
> > The best thing I like of C# is the ease of programming, platform
> > integration, and C# SDK like Java is available for free download and
> > the best part of C# I like is it does not have performance issues of
> > Java.
>
> If you say so. Isn't C# supposed to be a VM based langauge too?

Kind of. The CLR is "like" a VM, but not true in the Java sense. For all intents and purposes, I guess it is.

> In that case implementations of Java and C# ought to roughly be
> equally fast in the long run.

In theory, but apparently not in practice.

-c Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 13:24:53 CST