Re: dbms_jobs versus cron

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:50:54 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3E1F0274.38A7A867_at_exesolutions.com...
><snip>
>
> The other issue I have with cron is
> that it is happy to try running a job even when the database is down.
> With DBMS_JOBS when the job kicks off you at least have an assurance that
> Oracle is up and running.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment:

On the other hand, a cron job can email you to let you know that it is unable to run because the database is down.

Regards,
Paul

P.S. Earlier in this thread I suggested that cron and db jobs are complementary - not opposing - utilities. Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 13:50:54 CST