Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: kim bruning <kim_at_NObruning.SPAMdemon.HEREnl.invalid>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:58:09 +0100

Belinda <belindacur_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All

> I am a C++ programmer and I am now planning to make a transition to
> either C# or Java.

Do *WHAT*? You're silly, you know that, right?

I'm transitioning to C++, nice to meet someone going the other way.

> I am not sure whether to take up C# or Java. Some
> people say the future is C# and .Net and others say Java.

Don't listen to other people! You'll be using these toolsets for a long time. Try both of them and see which you feel most comfortable with.

> I am
> confused between the arguments between the Microsoft and the Java
> camps. Can you all kindly throw in some enlightenment on the
> differences between C# and Java and what is the value proposition for
> somebody starting now in Java or C# to start in them. Also please note
> my primary development environment is Windows platform which language
> is the fastest to learn, performance wise and the future of the
> languages. I have heard that Java as performance issues is that
> correct and C# is only windows centric ?.

Both Java and C# should be roughly as fast, certainly in the long run C# might be portable in the near future but currently it is not.

Basically, if you're worried about vendor lock-in, either choose java or wait and see what happens.

One thing I worry about is that microsoft always *starts out* looking open, and then later makes changes to force people to stick to their platform anyway. They have quite a reputation for this indeed.

If you don't mind depending on a single vendor, go .net.

> But right now my only
> development platform will be Windows.

And what's your deployment platform?

Okay well, ummm, what happens if you want to rent a box at a co-location facility tomorrow? Lots of companies do this. What will it be running? Any idea?

What is your sysadmin running *under* his/her desk?

What if someone goes "Hey, I'll just shove this cheap firewall in here, kay?". Firewall boxen tend to multiply. What's it running?

Do you have an art department? (ut oh!)

Are you absolutely *positive* that you will have and keep a homogenous work environment? And for how long? Do you even really *want* a homogenous environment? (How about a "best tool for the job" policy?)

Ask yourself these questions to make sure all your bases are covered. If you think your company will remain homogenous for the next couple of years, look hard at .net. If you have those sneaky admins who are always up to their old tricks... welll....

> I am supposed to make this
> decision for my company I am free to choose C# or Java.

That's cool!

> Which must I choose and why ?

I can't tell you, you have to decide for yourself. :-) I hope I've helped a little though.

Full disclosure: I like java best, so I'm not entirely objective, though I've certainly tried my best.

read you soon,

        Kim Bruning Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 09:58:09 CST