Re: How to do this as a singleton select?

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 10 Jan 2003 12:24:48 GMT

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in news:1efdad5b.0301100357.465f2c38_at_posting.google.com and I quote:

> The modeller is using a supertype, subtype design. I have a supertype
> table. This table has records that tell me which 'subtype' tables to
> use based on certain criteria.

That is fine.

> My subtype tables are not always of the same form.

That is *not* fine...

> Didnt design it. Just have to use it. Plus, since the project is in
> RAD, the data isnt always accurate. So I may get told to use this
> subtype table, but it may be of the wrong structure(different columns
> that what I need) causing my dynamic cursor to throw an exception. So
> I have to filter it out.

Use a *getter* interface? Package, defining functions that return a refcursor. Populate an in-memory table with the results as you check/verify/build them, then use

select ... TABLE(CAST (... as user_type>))

to generate the return ref cursor.
Works for me.

> Gotta be extra careful. Our GUI is done in .net. I dont know .net and
> the .net guys dont know the database.

J2EE here. Same problem. Complex functionality, complex design. Gotta shield the Java people fromt he complexities of SQL. Just use "getters". They understand the term and it actually *is* very fast.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto