9i streams vs triggers

From: servant <mjohns1_at_uhc.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:06:43 -0600

I have been tasked with developing a reporting architecture for an application that has been developed over the last few months. I have been told there are 2 main concerns: performance (contention) and complexity of the data model. I am thinking of using Oracle's replication to maintain a
(near) real-time replica. That (basically) resolves the contention issue.
The complexity issue is more difficult.

I am thinking about using 1) streams against the redo logs or 2) triggers to pull the data from the replica, apply business logic to it, and populate a "logical" data model on which reports can be generated. I would like to use the same abstraction layer to go from the physical to the logical data model as the application interface uses (Java objects with EJBs). In other words, I need the code inside the streams or triggers to call Java methods (ie: loadCustomerData(cust_id)) which would get the data and apply any business logic and then populate the "logical" database.

In essence, I think I am being asked to create a data warehouse, but I haven't convinced myself of that yet.

Anyway, here is my question: Does anyone have an opinion on which method
(streams or triggers) would tax my replica database more--from a CPU,
network, and/or contention perspective? Any opinions from other perspectives which option is better (maintenance, etc). Received on Thu Jan 09 2003 - 13:06:43 CST