Re: Money is a great thing, but strong ethic is better (I think, but Oracle not)

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:19:21 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Ask specifically aboutlicensing by connected user. Which means paying for
> the total number of users connected simultaneously rather than the number
> that could theoretically connect which is named users.
>
> Also ... if you have Oracle licensed by CPU ... does your license prevent
> you from creating a new schema? Likely not. Does it prevent you from
> building tables and putting code into that new schema in an existing
> database? Likely not. Among your myriad databases and instances can you
> find one where the memory requirements and usage would be roughly similar?
> Likely so.
>
> I want Larry to have enough money to beat you guys soundly and bring the
> cup back to its namesake. But not on your back alone. Heck I have a 50'
> sailboat of my own and I might decide to challenge Larry for
> it in a few years. ;-}
>
> Daniel Morgan

I find this interesting, our license was(is) still for concurrent ( I assume this is the same as "connected") users, but I was told by oracle that we were only allowed to keep paying for our concurrent user license as we were "grandfathered" in, and when we increased users over the number of concurrent users we are licenced for, we then have to go for the new named users scheme. But we would get a credit of 2 named users plus for each concurrent user in our present license.

As some of our existing databases are accesible by 300 users but only 20 at the most were connected at a time, our license fee was reasonable. But with a new app coming online this year, where about the same amount will have access but many more will be connected at one time, the concurrent users license goes out the proverbial window and we have to switch to a named user license, which increases our license cost by about 350%.

As well, I was told that any new databases that came online would be covered by the new license, as long as the named users did not increase. This means that since our new named users license would in effect cover every employee, then any and all new oracle databases are in effect, already paid for, which provides me with good ammo to have management let me convert our few sqlserver db's to oracle and get rid of those licenses.

Anyone else hear of this approach/scheme or have a similar arrangement? - although oracle has "simplified" their licensing so to speak, it still seems that the answer is different depending on which rep you talk to, as it was before. Received on Thu Jan 09 2003 - 12:19:21 CST